Prachi
Participant

Dear Tigress,

Pre menstrual period is a time of huge hormonal changes. Combined with your hypo-thyroid, it can aggravate your symptoms as well result in a persistent feeling of depression.There are a few things you can do to minimisse the effect or hormonal changes during periods:

1. Keep your thyroid in check. Be very regular with your medicines and get yourself tested every 6 months.

2. Start taking iron supplements with your doctor’s advice. Almost 70% or Indian women are anemic and anemia aggravates period symptoms.

3.Reduce your salt intake about a week before your period date.

4. Start going for walks for at least 30 minutes. It will release positive endorphins in your body which will not only lift your mood, it will also help to correct the hormonal imbalance.

5. During periods when you experience depression and irritability, tell yourself repeatedly that this is not you. It’s biological and it will pass in 2 days. The more you think about depressive feelings, the more they will rule over you. Take a deep breath and say “these are just thoughts. I can have any kind of thoughts. Thoughts are not permanent. They come and go.” If you think about your feelings and thoughts like this, you will be able to reduce their intensity.

Lastly, I would say, conquer your illness with psychological strength. You are much bigger and stronger than your illness. Don’t let it master you. YOU be the master of your own body.

If you would like more long term psychological help and management, feel free to contact me for regular session on [email protected].

All the best!