This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Prachi 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

deepajmera21121993
    Participant

Hello,
    I dont know what’s happening to me.When I read anything,I stick to it.I cant go ahead.My mind sticks to one or another word.It keeps on thinking about it and I end up having headache.I dont know how I got this problem.Right now I am stuck to a simple word “NOT”.Whenever I come across this word,my mind just tries to understand what is happening in brain.I start thinking about this word and think it so much that my head starts paining.It has became an obsession.And I get strange questions like how do the brain process this words?How do you project this word?Obviously, I am not a neuroscientist and also dont want to be but this kind of questions force me to read those articles and I end up reading lot of stuff on the internet and waste my time.Even I get the answer sometimes to those questions but then I dont believe on them.I dont know but I have also lost confidence or belief or trust,whatever it is.I just keep on asking meanings of different words to my mind and keep confirming externally.But everytime I get a strange feeling of getting wrong and distrust on my memory.This all started around 2 years ago and till now I am struggling to get over it.Everytime I end up with bad headache because of over anxiousness. I used to be a bright student before but after this I have lost all my confidence.I even cant explain properly what’s happening with me.I mean..this are just simple words which I learnt from childhood and I know them very well.But still I dont know why I doubt as well dont trust my memory.I am a very good reader as well as learner.But this problem has ruined me.It would be very kind of any of you if you could suggest me any treatment.
    Thanks
    Deep
    P.S.I am still a student and having FINAL examinations in May.

ruchika gupta
    Participant

did u consult any doctor?This may be due to stress….u must go for some holidays and take some rest…just try to stay away fromfrom your cell and PC for sometime…Ull feel better….and don’t think too much…if u still feel such unrest u must consult a doctor…take care :)

Swarup
    Participant

Hi It may happening because u are concentrating on books too much. So as Ruchika said it may happen by over stress. You should convert your Mind on other activities for some time till you realise that you feel comfortable..

Prachi
    Participant

Dear Deep,

Besides this repetitive and intrusive chain of thoughts are you also experiencing low mood, anxiety features like racing heart, excessive worrying, and urge to do some action repeatedly like counting or checking? You have mentioned that this started two years ago…did something significant happen in your life two years ago – like a death in the family, or a new relationship, or some significant change in your grades or a big exam or something? What you have described could either be a symptom of depression or something called obsessive rumination where a person keeps thinking about irrelevant thoughts and they continue to bother him even after resisting and distracting. I would recommend a psychological assessment so that the picture can become clearer.You can see a psychologist or contact a therapist here on HopeNetwork.in and they will help you.As for temporary releif there are two things you can do:

1. tie a rubber band on your wrist and the moment you find yourself fixating on a word, snap that rubberband hard enough to hurt you for a second.Very soon your mind will start associating the repetitive thoughts with the pain and reduce the frequency of these thoughts.

2. When you find yourself fixating on a word, try to focus on the thoughts that start running through your head. What are you really thinking? Are you thinking something like “I’m useless, I can’t focus and therefore I won’t be able to study and I will fail” or is there something that makes you very anxious when you sit down to read and to avoid facing that anxiety provoking problem your mind switches over to think about a random word? Do you think that’s possible?

Think about it and let us know…
    All the best!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.