This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BeingPositive 4 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

abhicrik
    Participant

hello,
    Please take few moments to read this to help me out.
    i am facing eye blinking problem from past two weeks.
    Every time i think of eye blinking,my eyes starts blinking very fast.it twitches a lot.and i have to do it on my own as it doesnot twitches automatically and because of constant eye blinking or twitching i am not able to concentrate on my daily routines and activites.if i try not to blink my eyes i feel irritation and discomfort in my eyes and i blink my eyes suddenly as u know its really difficult not to blink your eyes.as this thing is creating difficulties in my work and concentration because of which i have developed anxiety towards it and i experience rapid and constant sweating in palms and legs,severe headache,rapid heart beat,tiredness etc symptoms.

as you know eye blinking is a subconscious thing but for me it has become a conscious thing now.i am scared to think of it because of all above mentioned things i am facing.At some times i forget about it.but then i feel my subconscious blinking of eyes and my awareness goes towards it.
    Please help.[/size]
    Any advice or suggestion would be highly helpful.
    IN HOPE

BeingPositive
    Participant
    abhicrik wrote:
    hello,
    Please take few moments to read this to help me out.
    i am facing eye blinking problem from past two weeks.
    Every time i think of eye blinking,my eyes starts blinking very fast.it twitches a lot.and i have to do it on my own as it doesnot twitches automatically and because of constant eye blinking or twitching i am not able to concentrate on my daily routines and activites.if i try not to blink my eyes i feel irritation and discomfort in my eyes and i blink my eyes suddenly as u know its really difficult not to blink your eyes.as this thing is creating difficulties in my work and concentration because of which i have developed anxiety towards it and i experience rapid and constant sweating in palms and legs,severe headache,rapid heart beat,tiredness etc symptoms.

as you know eye blinking is a subconscious thing but for me it has become a conscious thing now.i am scared to think of it because of all above mentioned things i am facing.At some times i forget about it.but then i feel my subconscious blinking of eyes and my awareness goes towards it.
    Please help.[/size]
    Any advice or suggestion would be highly helpful.
    IN HOPE

Hi abhicrik,

Whatever is your problem, when we focus on or think obsessively about something, it starts making us more nervous and anxious. And as it makes us nervous, anxious and self-conscious, we tend to focus on it and get more and more obsessed about it. A vicious cycle sets into motion.

You seem to have become obsessive with your eye-blinking (whatever is the reason behind it). And the more you think about it and the more you focus on it; the more you fear that you will blink your eyes. And that makes you nervous and anxious.

And then in turn, that nervousness brings even more eye-blinking. And then you get even more nervous and worried about it. That’s how it seems to be working.

So the best thing is to simply accept your eye-blinking for now. Just know that your eye-blinking is something you cannot control consciously. So no amount of conscious effort is going to make it go away. In fact, it will only make it worse.

And with this understanding, just go on accepting your eye-blinking as a current fact or a passing phase. Just allow your eyes to blink whenever they do without trying to control it.

The more you will be able to accept it without fighting with it and allow it, you will feel more and more relaxed about it and less and less fearful, anxious about it.

This will reduce the stress on your mind a lot and that in and by itself will reduce your eye-blinking. Basically, you will set-forth a ‘positive cycle’ in motion.

So acceptance of it and simply allowing it, is the first and perhaps the only thing you really need to do at the moment. And then, slowly it will go away by itself.

Hope this helps. :)

abhicrik
    Participant

hello,
    thank you so much for replying.
    i am actually not focusing on this eye blinking.
    the man thing is my mind is stuck with this thing.i mean my attention is towards my eyes.And we see the things around us from our eyes only so my attention is automatically towards my eyes only.And my thoughts too take my attention towards my eyes again and again obsessively and it is very easy and fast to take the attention towards eyes and to the eye blinking thing.And also whenevr my eyes blinking subconsciously then also my attention goes towards my eyes and i feel them while blinking whether consciously or subconsciously ..
    i donot know what to do …
    :(

BeingPositive
    Participant
    abhicrik wrote:
    hello,
    the man thing is my mind is stuck with this thing.i mean my attention is towards my eyes.And we see the things around us from our eyes only so my attention is automatically towards my eyes only.And my thoughts too take my attention towards my eyes again and again obsessively and it is very easy and fast to take the attention towards eyes and to the eye blinking thing.And also whenevr my eyes blinking subconsciously then also my attention goes towards my eyes and i feel them while blinking whether consciously or subconsciously ..

hi,

You say that your mind is ‘stuck’ with eye-blinking and your attention is constantly towards it. Well that is the meaning of the word ‘focus’! isn’t it?

To focus on something means giving constant attention to it. In your case, you are giving constant attention towards your eyes and the eye-blinking.

You may not be doing it consciously (or knowingly or purposefully). But, your mind is going towards it automatically. And as I said before, when our mind becomes obsessed with something and try to control it or remove it from our mind, we actually become more focused on it and stuck with it.

And the way to reduce such obsession is to simply not fight with it. In your case, you can just accept your eye-blinking by saying to yourself:

‘I am ok with my eye-blinking. It is not such a horrible habit. It is quite a harmless habit. I accept it as a part of my present reality. And even if I try to stop it, it doesn’t stop. Then why try something that is not possible? So, I just let go of any effort to stop it or control it and simply accept it as a part of my current reality. I just flow with it. Let my eyes blink as much as they want. I don’t pay too much attention to it. I just ignore it and enjoy doing so many other interesting things that are in front of me. And if my mind goes to it, I just accept it and relax with it and just enjoy the eye-blinking for a while until my mind easily drift to something more interesting……’

If you will think like this and love and accept yourself and your eye-blinking, it will become less and less all by itself. And the more you will be able to accept it, the more your mind will stop getting focused on it too much.

Actually, it is only because you are worrying about it and want to control it or stop it that your eye-blinking habit is getting stronger. Once you start accepting it as something quite normal and harmless a habit, it will disappear by itself.

And this is not true only for eye-blinking but for almost every problem of our mind.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

abhicrik
    Participant
    BeingPositive wrote:
    abhicrik wrote:
    hello,

hi,

You say that your mind is ‘stuck’ with eye-blinking and your attention is constantly towards it. Well that is the meaning of the word ‘focus’! isn’t it?

To focus on something means giving constant attention to it. In your case, you are giving constant attention towards your eyes and the eye-blinking.

You may not be doing it consciously (or knowingly or purposefully). But, your mind is going towards it automatically. And as I said before, when our mind becomes obsessed with something and try to control it or remove it from our mind, we actually become more focused on it and stuck with it.

And the way to reduce such obsession is to simply not fight with it. In your case, you can just accept your eye-blinking by saying to yourself:

‘I am ok with my eye-blinking. It is not such a horrible habit. It is quite a harmless habit. I accept it as a part of my present reality. And even if I try to stop it, it doesn’t stop. Then why try something that is not possible? So, I just let go of any effort to stop it or control it and simply accept it as a part of my current reality. I just flow with it. Let my eyes blink as much as they want. I don’t pay too much attention to it. I just ignore it and enjoy doing so many other interesting things that are in front of me. And if my mind goes to it, I just accept it and relax with it and just enjoy the eye-blinking for a while until my mind easily drift to something more interesting……’

If you will think like this and love and accept yourself and your eye-blinking, it will become less and less all by itself. And the more you will be able to accept it, the more your mind will stop getting focused on it too much.

Actually, it is only because you are worrying about it and want to control it or stop it that your eye-blinking habit is getting stronger. Once you start accepting it as something quite normal and harmless a habit, it will disappear by itself.

And this is not true only for eye-blinking but for almost every problem of our mind.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

thank you again for your reply.
    Yes you are absolutely right that the only way is to try and accepting the eye blinking.
    But for me another main problem is if i try to accept it(eye blinking) then my blinking goes on and on and on which includes manually blinking also and it gets real difficult to recognize whether it was manual blinking or an automatic one.
    Also i have some fearful thoughts like:What if my attention goes towards my eyes then i will blink more and will have to monitor my blinking .And then my attention goes towards it and things go wrong again.
    It’s real complicated

BeingPositive
    Participant

Hi abhicrik,

When you accept something, you need to accept it fully, no matter what. When I say that you should accept eye-blinking, I mean that you need to accept that as a ‘present reality’ even though it goes on and on for some time. You must accept it without any conditions. After all, it will take some time for any changes to take place.

Say to yourself:

“Even though it goes on and on, I accept it fully because there is nothing else that I can really do about it. I cannot stop it directly or forcefully.

In fact, if I apply force and try to stop it, it becomes even worse and makes me feel even more fearful, anxious and self-conscious. And these negative emotions and self-consciousness only brings more eye-blinking. And that makes me feel hopeless and frustrated about the whole thing. So what is the point in struggling and fighting with it?

It will be like trying to defeat my own left and with my right hand! Who is going to win? It is like fighting with my own self. The habit is currently a part of me and I cannot just stop it by force. So therefore, I accept this current condition and just go with it.”

Accepting something doesn’t mean that you don’t want to improve. It simply means that you understand that you cannot improve by force or effort. You cannot improve or stop a habit directly. Acceptance is really an indirect way of letting go of a habitual pattern.

What acceptance does is that it relieves you of the obsession and relaxes you. You will stop fighting with the habit and feel more ok and at ease with it.

It is not some kind of a sin to blink your own eyes! Is it? What’s so bad about it? People have a lot more harmful and dangerous habits – habits that are dangerous not just for themselves but even for others! In comparison, your eye-blinking habit is pretty harmless, isn’t it?

The more you fear and worry about your eye-blinking and the more you will try to control or monitor your habit, the more your attention will keep going to it and the more your eye-blinking will continue. That’s what I mean when I said that it becomes an obsession and a vicious cycle.

The only way to break that cycle is to simply accept it fully and let it happen as much as it does. Don’t worry about it too much. Just ignore it as much as you can and focus your attention and energy towards other positive aspects of your life and personality. Focus on enjoying many other interesting things and activities in life and don’t give too much importance to a harmless habit……

It feeds on your own excessive attention to it. Your own focus on it gives it energy. And you have the choice whether to keep giving energy to your habit by focusing and trying to control it, monitoring and fighting with it or not.

As you will be able to ignore it and accept it more, and will focus your attention more on other interesting things in your life, it will slowly lose it’s stronghold on your mind and will become less and less powerful. It will slowly disappear and will die it’s own death in due time…..without any effort.

Hope this helps you. :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.