This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  smileysharma 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

@himani
    Participant

Long story
    Hard to sum up
    since I was a kid I have seen my mom suffering from dad: domestic violence. Knowingly or unknowingly I registered all this in my little kid brain. I even witnessed a near split of my parents. I used to live in delhi with dad and mom lived with her parents with my younger sister. Now mum tells me that when she returned to delhi I refused to even talk to her. dad had filled my ears against her!
    I grew up to be very quiet outside but inside always a storm rages within me. In the recent years i became very rebellious. I tried to convince mom to file complaint regarding all this. She being a “pativrata” refused and even scolded me for thinking in such a way.
    Dad always considered me useless because of my rebellious nature. I was a brilliant student untill 7th. Then my performance started deteriorating. Really don’t know why.
    This added up to the verbal comments I got from my dad. I also got beaten up with sticks many times(even when I was small…on petty issues).
    all this made me more rebellious but I wouldn’t say anything to anyone. I developed suicidal tendencies and started considering myself good for nothing (my dad always said to me “tum bhaar ho humare upar” ). I used to cut my wrists every time anyone scolded me. I even consumed pesticide twice but vomited.
    Then one day an ex student of my school texted me on facebook regarding photoshoots for their brand and asked if I was interested. I didn’t show any interest initially but later decided to give it a try. after all money was what my dad was concerned about.
    I told her that i’d tell her after asking my parents about it. She convinced me not to inform them untill things were settled. I was in class X at that time. The company was a clothes brand and it had started in 2008. owner of the company was a close friend of the the girl who i had talked to. I could not go out of the house except for school since we don’t live in a well connected area and my parents really have an extremely backward mentality. I used to go to school in a van. I somehow arranged for the man to pick me up in the morning instead of the van but at the last moment the van arrived at our doorstep and i had to go to school. I coaxed the van driver to let me go with a friend after dropping other students to school. All went well. But a woman spotted me in the van in school uniform shifting from van to car. She informed about this in the school and the driver was arrested. My parents were informed about it dad was called in the school. I was unaware of all this going on. Meanwhile the owner of the company picked me up from the van. He told me that he couldn’t take me to his office since e had already told his partners that i was not coming. I went to his house instead. It turned out to be a terrible mistake. He forced me physically. One of my friends knew about my plans to meet this person. He called me up to tell what was going on in school. This man somehow calmed me down and then left me near my house when it was time for me to return home from school. I could not tell my parents about what had actually happened. I cooked up a story to tell to them.
    i was suspended from school due to all this. I gave my final exams and then had to change school.
    I got science stream in another schools with subjects PCB. My parents had always wanted me to become a doctor. I could never decide anything for myself. So this is what I had to do.
    I never went out with my friends throughout 11th class. Always studied at home. But could not despite all attempts. However i managed to get marks enough to be promoted to the next class. I never demanded anything from my parents. Always tried to get their trust back. To live up to their expectations. But i could never do it.
    I know I made many mistakes but who does not?
    All of my friends come to me with their problems and I always solve them be it regarding studies relationships etc.
    But I don’t get a solution to my problems ever.
    My boards exams didn’t go well and I am not expecting a good percentage.
    I have filled forms for AIPMT and UPMT but i am not interested in studies at all. And I know medical is out of my scope.
    I had a terrible fight with my dad. I locked myself up in rage cut my wrists very badly and was just about to consume an extremely strong pesticide when my mom gave me her swear. I have not talked to my so called dad since that day. He didn’t wish me on my 18th birthday. I didn’t ask for his blessings.
    Mom seems to be uncaring. She thinks i am characterless because i talk to boys. Even while I was typing this out she scolded me for clearing everything out when she came. She thinks “mai gulchharre uda rahi hu”. I don’t want to share any problem with her because she thinks everything is my mistake.
    I have given up the idea of committing suicide because I don’t want to trouble my parents.
    But I don’t want t live with my parents anymore. I don’t want to trouble them anymore financially.
    I am still in contact with the girl who wanted me to do photoshoots. We don’t talk about that day anymore. But I can never forget what happened with me. But i have accepted it since it was my mistake.
    She is ready to help me in any way I want because she thinks it happened because of her.
    I have actually decided to leave my parents and their house forever on 22nd may.
    I have a dream of travelling around the world. Each and every corner. I am ready to do social service and especially help girls like me who can not speak about their endless problems to anyone.
    I know Delhi is not safe for single girls. I know I will get accommodation with much difficulties. I know I will fall many times. I also know that I am ready to face the world. I don’t want to be answerable to anyone especially my parents.
    I don’t know how to proceed with my life further.

Swarup
    Participant

Hi can u please contact my id
    *** email deleted ****
    don’t worry we are always be with u,
    thank you

**** Please DO NOT solicit emails, phone numbers, addresses or any other personally identifiable information on HopeNetwork.in ****

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  CpyderW. Reason: Personal details solicited

Prachi
    Participant

Dear Himani,

What a heart rending story you have! Children who witness domestic violence often turn out traumatised and rebellious like you have become and I understand it because at that time, as a child, that seems like the only way to survive. But now that you are an adult, YOU are in control of what happens to you and how you react to situations. See, freedom doesn’t come from escaping and doing whatever the hell we want… True freedom comes from knowing what to choose when.

I can understand your urge to leave home. But have you worked out the practical aspects? You yourself realise what an unsafe city Delhi is. Do you really want to be left at the mercy of guys like the one who earlier molested you? And what are you going to do for livelihood? You’re just a 12th pass. The least you need is a graduate for any kind of a job. Right now, however bad things may be, you have a roof over your head and food on the table. Everything else can be modified. You talk about travelling the world? How’s that going to work out for you without an education and job? Have you considered these aspects?

You say you want to help girls like you. I think that’s a wonderful idea!! And kudos to you for trying to get a positive outcome out of your life. But tell me, if you take that step on 22nd, what advice are you going to give those girls? “Run away and be ready for all sorts of trouble?” or “You can stay on and fight for what you deserve and make the life for yourself right here, just like I did!”?

I can only give you a point of view from someone who has seen all sorts of life. I can’t live for you or force you to accept my point. But just take a step back and THINK… is this really the ABSOLUTE WORST situation possible?

@himani
    Participant

Hie Prachi
    Thanks for the concern
    I haven’t made the decision in haste or rage
    I have thought about it with a cool mind and now I have even told my mom about it and she definitely isn’t in terms with the idea. Dad knows as well but of course i never asked for his opinion but as far as I know him he’ll never stop me.
    I definitely know i wont get any big job before graduation but i have planned my life having seen all aspects about renting bills food accessories education and all. 🙂
    about giving advice to others ..
    I will never ask anyone to take my example or that of others
    Everyone has their own way of looking at their lives.
    There are people who don’t live their life for the fear of others. Others who don’t live for the fear of themselves.
    I want to live my life on my terms and be the owner of my life.
    I do respect your opinion but aren’t there people who succeed in there pursuit?
    I think we should always look at the positive side of things and correct that is negative in our own way.

smileysharma
    Participant

You are in a very tough situation. However; I would advice you to face the situation and study hard for pmt exams. Nothing is impossible. This way your two wishes will be fulfilled. When you are doctor you will be in the position to help the needy and also to explain your parents how you are hurt due to them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.